Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Purposes of the Book of Mormon

In the title page we are told of three purposes of the Book of Mormon:

1. To show us the great things the Lord has done for His people

2. To teach us the covenants we should make with the Lord

3. To convince us that Jesus is the Christ

I'd say the Book of Mormon accomplishes all three very well.

I know there have to be people who have read the Book of Mormon and are not convinced of its truthfulness. But it is hard for me to understand how anyone who reads it with an open and unbiased heart and who prays about it is not also touched by the power and the spirit of God which is so prevalent in the pages of this book. I suppose it is always difficult to imagine experiences, reactions and conclusions that are different from our own.

Books which testify of Christ seem to have a power and spirit that is not found in other books. You can almost feel it from the moment you pick the book up, even before you open its pages. I have never yet read a book which focuses on Christ--whether LDS or other Christian creed--that does not carry that feeling of the spirit of God to some degree.

I agree with someone whose comments I read recently, but whose identity I now, unfortunately, cannot remember, who said that anyone who studies Christ, His life and His teachings, cannot help but become a better person.

I believe that. I've experienced that.

It's a natural law--like, anyone who stands in the rain cannot help but get wet.

No comments: