Sunday, April 09, 2006

My Lord Will Not Forget Me (1 Nephi 21:14-16)

March 22, 2006


But, behold, [sometimes I say/feel]: The Lord hath forsaken me, and my Lord
hath forgotten me—but he will show that he hath not.

For can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? Yea, they may forget, yet I will not forget
thee…

Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands…
(1 Nephi 21:14-16)



This is so beautiful.

I do not know how a mother can forget a child that is so dependent upon her, so small and weak. You hold that baby in your arms, so close to your heart, and you are literally overwhelmed with love and compassion for that child. Your love for your child, the best interests of that baby, become the number one driving force in your life. From the day that baby is born, your entire world view is changed and everything is now judged based upon how it will affect that child.

As a human, mortal mother, I sometimes reach the limit of my abilities. Being human, I become exhausted or distracted, and my children, despite my huge love for them, sometimes suffer hurt or neglect because of my frailties.

But God has no frailties, nor weaknesses that limit His parenting abilities. He is absolutely the parent I wish I could be. I cry and He is there to comfort me. I hunger and thirst, He gives me food and drink. I struggle, He supports me. It is a glorious thing.

**


Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands…

How many times in each day do I look at my hands? I would imagine the Lord looks at His hands just as often as we do ours. And each time He looks at His hands, He sees a reminder of us, of me, of how much He loves me.

No comments: