Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Praising God Amid the Trials (1 Nephi 1:6-16)

Lehi reads from the book of prophecy. He reads of the abominations of his people, their forthcoming hardships, and the eventual destruction of Jerusalem. (v. 13) Since I already know how deeply he cares for his people, I can imagine the heartbreak and sadness this vision would bring. I would expect him to feel sorrowful, discouraged and overwhelmed.

And yet, in the next verse, he praises God, saying, "thy...goodness, and mercy are over all" (v. 14). How can he say that? How can he feel joy and praise God when his world is falling apart all around him?

How? Because he is resting in the arms of the Lord's comfort, fully partaking of His love and mercy on a personal level.

I know that feeling. I know what it is like to feel peace and love for and trust in the Lord when my own world is falling apart. I have felt it. I am feeling it now.

Enfolded in the arms of my Savior's love and mercy, I realize I am truly safe. With the Lord beside me, nothing can hurt me beyond my ability to heal. Should I become ill, He will sustain me. Should I die, He will receive me. Should my business crumble, my children lose their way, relationships dissolve, He will teach me.

Am I saying I will never feel pain or heartache or discouragement? Of course not! But when I do feel the pangs of mortality, whatever they may be, I know where to go to find balm to soothe my soul. If and when I turn to the Lord in fervant prayer, He will bind up and heal my wounds (Jer. 30:17; Jacob 2:8).

I know this because He has healed so many of my wounds already. He is healing me even as I sit here and write this message. It is only when I forget that I know this that the pain and discomfort of mortality become too much to bear. But the moment I turn back to Him, I feel peace enter my heart.

"And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding,
shall keep [protect] your hearts and minds
through Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:7)

I know what that feels like. I've put it to the test. I have learned, and am still learning, to follow Lehi's example and to praise God amid the trials.

No comments: