Monday, March 20, 2006

Knowing vs Feeling (1 Nephi 17:23)

March 10, 2006

1 Nephi 17:23—Nephi is describing how God helped the Israelites escape the bondage of the Egyptians. I am reminded again how it seems these Israelites and many of the people of the Old Testament had physical, literal manifestations from God.

Moses saw a burning bush. The Israelites saw a pillar of light they could follow through the wilderness. They saw Moses strike the Red Sea and watched it part. They saw him smite a rock and water appear. They saw, touched and ate manna when it appeared each day.

Sometimes I yearn for this more tangible representation of God’s power and will. I think it would be easier to do His will if I simply followed a pillar of light around all day or checked a Liahona for my to do list.

But I don’t know. The Israelites, with all these visible, tangible manifestations, were still pretty rebellious at times.

Maybe it’s not the knowing, but the feeling that helps us follow the Lord. And maybe it’s the struggle that helps us remember.

No comments: