Wednesday, March 08, 2006

What Are the Mysteries of God? (1 Nephi 10:19)

“For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be
unfolded unto them…” (1 Nephi 10:19)


What are the mysteries of God?

Some people like to argue the physics of walking on water or feeding thousands with a few fishes and loaves of bread. Some people like to ponder how exactly the Atonement works, where exactly is the balance between justice and mercy.

How did God make the world? we ask. Did He mold it out of matter? Or did He sing the mountains, calling the corresponding vibrational energy and matter gather together to form the earth? Do we wear clothes in heaven? Did we choose our own trials? How much repenting and progression is allowed after death?

And such.

And I suppose those are interesting ideas to toss around when you have nothing else to do. But for me, the true mysteries of God, the truth which I need revealed, is how am I going to make it through the next five minutes without exploding from the stress? How do I gain enough faith to cope with the extremes of life? How do I find the courage to do God’s will, the strength to obey His commandments?

Ego-centric, I know. But those are the only mysteries that really matter to me, the only ones I care about, the ones I am desperate to have revealed.

No comments: