Saturday, March 18, 2006

Oatmeal That Tastes as Sweet as Raw Meat? (1 Nephi 17:12)

March 8, 2006

“For the Lord had not hitherto suffered that we should make fire, as we
journeyed in the wilderness, for he said: I will make thy food become sweet,
that ye cook it not.” (1 Nephi 17:12)

Years ago I was trying to get off sugar. I had pretty much eliminated all the straight and concentrated sugars, except for one thing. I’m an oatmeal eater—and I just could not eat my morning oatmeal without a smidge of sugar in it.

This bothered me. I had been praying for help but just could not do it. One day I read this verse. It hit hard. If the Lord could make RAW MEAT taste sweet to Nephi and his family, He could certainly make plain oatmeal taste sweet to me.

I prayed again, referencing this verse and stating my absolute faith that this was possible.
I have never since put even so much as one grain of sugar in my oatmeal. Even several years later, when I fell off the sugar wagon, I continued to eat my oatmeal plain.

No comments: