Friday, March 17, 2006

The Liahona List (Pt. 2)

Sometimes when I want to make changes in my life, I develop a list of things I want or need to do. (See the Liahona List.) Then I try to make myself do them. I set up a list of corresponding consequences. I tell myself it’s to encourage me to change, but really it’s just a way to force me to be good or to punish myself if I fail. Example: I can’t do X (something I really enjoy) until I do Y (something I’d rather not do, but think I should).

“No power or influence can [force] or ought to be maintained by virtue of the priesthood, only by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned…” (D&C 121: 41)

Force or manipulation is never a good thing. If it is wrong to force and manipulate others, it is just as wrong to force and manipulate myself.

The only reason for doing these things, for achieving righteous goals, is desire. When my desire to do what is right is strong enough, it will displace every other stumbling block. When I want to obey the Lord, to keep His commandments, because I truly and deeply love Him, all the reasons and excuses and justifications for not obeying Him will melt away as dew.

No comments: